Monday, September 27, 2010

Review: The Wicked by Stacey Kennedy

The Wicked by Stacey Kennedy

Publisher: Liquid Silver Books
Genre: Urban Fantasy


Heat Rating: 2


Photobucket


Blurb

Nexi Jones knows two things--being half Guardian is tough--being half Witch is simply problematic. With her Guardian duties put on hold, she begins the grueling task of discovering her magical abilities, which tend to be unpredictable, at the best of times.

At least, she has her luscious Guardian, Kyden to keep her grounded. That is, until the military-built, Ryker returns with a keen interest in being a constant thorn in her backside. With enough trouble controlling her powers--the added rivalry between the two tough Guardians leaves Nexi in urgent demand of a fire extinguisher.

But when tragedy strikes the very core of the Otherworld, Nexi needs to shape up as she lands herself knee deep into vampire society--a world run by vampire Mistresses who offer their assistance in unearthing a deadly plot of revenge. But as the truth begins to unravel, Nexi begins to discover that the Otherworld isn’t the only place where Supernaturals exist--and there is something far darker than thirsty vampires lurking within the shadows…



Hunter’s Review

I decided to give The Wicked a try even after I gave The Willow, the first book in this series by Stacey Kennedy, a hard time. There were things about that book that really bugged me. But, I’m glad I decided to try the second one. This is, to me, a much better book. Why? Well, I think its because there is very little time spent on back story.

The story picks up fast and reintroduces us to people we’ve already met, which I liked as well as very quickly giving Nexi a whole new series of trouble she is going to have to solve if she wants to make it to the end without losing body parts.

I think one of two things have happened. Either Ms. Kennedy slightly toned down the snarkiness in this one or I simply got used to. In any case, I didn’t find myself wanting to scream at Nexi this time and, instead, I wanted her to succeed and I rooted for her the whole time.

Clearly, Ms. Kennedy is a very, very talented author. She writes another series for a different publisher that, honestly, I prefer to this one. But, a lot of what she is able to do in that other series (well, I’ve only read the first book in that series) is to tug on the heartstrings so that you’re crying when they cry and laughing when they laugh, she did well in The Wicked. It may just be that I prefer her writing in 3rd person to 1st person. But, that being said, I cannot stress enough that this was a very good book by a very talented author that continues a series that, I have to admit, has gotten under my skin.

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next. Ms. Kennedy is well on her way to being an auto-buy for me and I think she should be for you too. I don’t know if she reads these reviews or not but if she does, Bravo, Ms. Kennedy.

4 1/2 Tea Cups!

Photobucket   PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket   Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails