Monday, October 4, 2010

Review: Halloween Treasures Anthology

Halloween Treasures: A Jewels of the Quill Halloween Anthology by Barbara Raffin, Dee Lloyd, Karen Wiesner, Jane Toombs, and Margaret L. Carter

Publisher: Whiskey Creek Press
Genre: Paranormal Romance


Heat Rating: 3

Photobucket

Blurb
Rediscover chills and thrills…and quills…on Halloween! 

Five Jewels of the Quill authors offer stories that will charm, bewitch and scare you silly. 

A collection for readers to enjoy during the spooky season...or any day of the year!


Hunter’s Review

I’m not sure what I expected when I opened up this anthology but Halloween Treasures didn’t live up to any expectations I had created in my mind. To me, the best story in the book is the first one, The Scarecrow and Ms. Moon by Barbara Raffin. It is a fun, paranormal romance, about a woman who has to make it work with her lover after she has, in anger, turned him into a scarecrow. It was creative, unique and I really enjoyed it.

But after that I felt the book floundered. The other stories were all over the place, two of them part of an ongoing series that continued within the anthology (Boo!). I think if an author or a publisher is going to do that, they need to warn the reader on the cover with something like ‘this book contains an ongoing series’ so that its not such a shock to think you’re reading a collection of stories in a Halloween story and find that 2 out of the 5 stories are virtually unreadable unless you’ve bought previous work.

I think the Scarecrow and Ms. Moon is a wonderful read and I was glad to have read it. It’s always nice to find Halloween stories this time of year and it certainly got me ready for the holiday.

2 ½ Tea Cups!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails