Thursday, October 14, 2010

Review: A Honeybun in Hell by Sam Cheever

A Honeybun in Hell by Sam Cheever

Publisher: Red Rose Publishing
Genre: Paranormal Romance


Heat Rating: 3


Photobucket


Blurb

Edric Honeybun is in Hell, Indiana on Halloween, doing research for his latest book in a haunted hotel. His brothers and their honeys decide to join him and make an adventure out of it. During this holiday in Hell, Edric fully expects to do some research, enjoy a few laughs over non-existent "ghosts", and debunk local superstitions about the Le Diablo hotel. What he doesn't expect is to bump up against a flesh and blood killer, fall in love with a beautiful witch, and come face to plasma with a surprise in the local cemetery.

Bella Rawnie is a gypsy whose family has nurtured a special "gift" for centuries. Her ability to speak to spirits makes her a laughing stock in the cozy town of Hell. Bella protects her family's legacy, despite the fact that tragedy has been a constant companion for the Rawnies as long as Bella can remember. But this Halloween, someone with a grudge is trying to kill Bella to end the Rawnie blood lines for good.

Maybe this time, the love of a good man...and his family...will be what the beautiful Wiccan needs to stay alive, ending the Rawnie curse once and for all.


Hunter’s Review

I was a little taken aback by the abrupt shift this book took away from the other Honeybun books I’ve recently read and reviewed here. While the first three books were contemporary suspense romances, this one fell easily into the category of paranormal romance. The author acknowledges this shift at the beginning of the book as something different for this particular book. It’s an interesting change, although I did find it kind of disappointing.

Oh, all the elements that worked in the first three books are still present in this one. The great Honeybun family is still running around making the words dance off the page. The heat between Bella and Edric sizzles. But, I had a hard time making a shift in my own head from what I expected to what I actually received.

Sam Cheever is not the first author to do this. I’ve read several historical series where the author suddenly throws in a paranormal book by making one of the heroines or heroes ‘different’ and then the hero or heroine have to come to terms with whether they can live with ‘differences.’ But, like before, I found it hard to handle in terms of the rest of the series. Where does the story go from here? Will the future Honeybun books have these elements to them? I don’t know. I trust that Ms. Cheever is an excellent writer and I’m looking forward to reading more of the Honeybun men to see where they go from here.

I recommend this book to anyone who is as much a fan of the Honeybun series as I am.

4 1/2 Tea Cups!

Photobucket   PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket   Photobucket

1 comment:

Sam Cheever said...

Hey there!

Thanks for taking the time to read my book! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as the others. I decided when I started writing these books that they would not be formula books. Each book, like the brother it reflects, is different in tone, heat level, plot makeup, etc. The answer to your question about whether the rest of the books in the series will have the paranormal element is that it is very unlikely. This was Edric and Bella's story, and their own set of circumstances, Godric, Clovis, Heathcliffe and Percy have totally different needs. I look forward to exploring those needs, and I hope you'll come along for the ride! #:0) ttys

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails